I was featured here!

They are talking about me at CraftGossip.com

Wednesday 28 August 2013

Potatoes and Onions - organizing my home in little bits :)

I'm returning to this blog after AGES!! The past many months have been occupied with becoming a first-time mom, bringing up a newborn into toddler-hood and now waiting to become mom again in winter 2013. But in the meanwhile, I've been organizing my little home in little bits and bobs, trying my best to make things happen on as tiny-a-budget as possible. I love being scrimpy ... I'm good that way :P

One of the best investments I made in the recent past was a supply of clear ID card sleeves and zip ties. Now I can go label-crazy on anything and everything wheeee!!!

So one of the things driving me crazy was this tiny shelf in my little kitchen cupboard where I kept my potatoes and onions. Things were always getting muddled and messy as you can see. Here's a "before" of things.... not something I'm proud of ...

Burlap sacks holding my onions and potatoes. Ho-hum.
But then, inspiration hit after browsing some Pinterest pins. And so I bought a couple of mesh magazine holders from Amazon. A pair of print-outs and some zip-tie magic later ... here's the after....

Magazine files from Amazon. Happy days :D 
Ta-daaaa!!!! See? Aren't things a lot better? :D These magazine holders are quite sturdy with a non-scratch base. The mesh made it easy peasy to thread the zip-ties through and the little finger holes make it easy to pull out the storage and see exactly how much supplies I have left. Well done Me!!!

Things would probably look a lot better if the label prints could be in colour ... but I ran out of printer cartridge ink. Boo. Ah well ... I'll get to it another day. As for now, hurray!!!

What do you think of this storage idea? Happy organizing!!

23 comments:

  1. I think I'll try this, too. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many pounds of onions/potatoes does each hold. love the idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Glad you girls liked this :D
      I can easily fit a 2kg bag of spuds in there with more than enough room for another kg. So 6 - 7 pounds easily. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Hey! I'm an editor for BuzzFeed, and would love to feature this in a roundup of organizing tips. I'm having trouble finding your contact info, so I'm leaving a comment! Feel free to shoot me an email at natalie [dot] brown [at] buzzfeed [dot] com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natalie
      Thanks so much for your lovely comment. I have sent you an email. xxx

      Delete
    2. dmariegpl@gmail,com5 January 2016 at 01:07

      Natalie...I had read somewhere you shouldn't store potatoes and onions near each other because of fumes they put off...is this a myth???

      Delete
    3. I have always been told never to have onions and potatoes together. Do we know if the metal on the files is food safe?

      Delete
    4. I shouldn't worry about either issue. With the amount those files hold, the veg is likely to be used up before it gets a chance to rot. Plus the spuds & onions aren't actually touching each other. As for the metal being food-safe, metal is generally safer than plastic. You could always line the files with fabric if it bothers you.

      Delete
  4. I am over 60 and I know that you should not store potatoes and onions near each other, especially in an enclosed area. The moisture of the onions causes the potatoes to rot. After years of doing that, I learned to keep the potatoes in an open container in a cabinet low to the floor and the onions in an open bowl on the counter top (or somewhere else out in the open air). Both last much longer. The potatoes won't rot and the onions won't start to mold very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'VE ALWAYS KEPT APPLES WITH MY POTATOES TO KEEP THEM FROM SPROUTING EYES. DON'T KNOW ABOUT POTATOES AND ONION'S .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Work with potatoes for over 20years should be kept in a dark dry place or they will go green

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea!! I would put your wood cutting board in between them. Read something about onions and potatoes being kept separate so they don't cause each other to rot. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just use them and they won't rot. I think it's a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! I can't find your contact info, I hope you still read comments here :) I'm an owner of blog Piafka.pl and I'd love to share some of your amazing storage ideas with my readers. Please contact me at piafkablog [at] gmail [dot] com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love this idea for storing potatoes and onions. It's great for small space where there isn't much counter space. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very Cute Idea. But just a tip. Storing Potatoes and Onions next to each other is not a good idea. According to experts both vegetables release moisture and gases that will cause the other to spoil faster.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you are in dilemma to select the best indoor weed so just visit this article to have the best one for you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Making a plan to buy the coffee maker justconnect with the reviewssaint.com.

    ReplyDelete
  14. From Consumer Report:
    What you don't want is to have your potatoes and onions in close proximity, as gases from the onions can hasten sprouting in potatoes. Kept in the dark: your potatoes should be stored inside a paper bag in a cool, dark, dry place. And as mentioned above, away from onions and their sprout-encouraging gases..

    ReplyDelete